Sunday, October 7, 2012

What I have been up to:

SO for the last few weeks, I've been up in Rexburg, ID attending school.  I am in my second year, completing the rest of my General Studies requirements (which I'll almost be done with by the end of this semester) and then I plan to move on to a Bachelors.  
 
As many of you know, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka: LDS or Mormon).  Many of you also know that the church sends out young men and sometimes young women to places around the world to be missionaries and spread the message of Jesus Christ and the church.  They typically go at age 19 as that was the most common age requirement for males (depending on your country) and 21 for females.  This changed yesterday when the president of the church announced new age requirements for all countries as 18 for males (also once they are graduated from high school) and 19 for females. WOW!  This is life changing.  I don't know what to think about it because I could go right now but I wasn't planning on even seriously considering it for another year and then some because of the previous age requirement!  This is crazy, I'm still getting used to it, and I'd consider going sometime soon...in the mean time, it's education! :)  Here I am at BYU-Idaho loving the atmosphere (not the weather;) and ta great semester.  

My roommate is Janika and she's great!  :)  We get along well and have a lot of fun! :)  But don't think that's all we do!  We also try to get a lot of homework done during the days and part of the evenings so we can get good grades.  :)   I love it.  I'm doing so much better than last semester and enjoying it more!  :)  My classes are: 
Family Foundations, a religion class about ...families:)
Global Hotspot: Pakistan, a world studies class focusing on Pakistan
Understanding DNA, a really cool class about genetics
Personal Achievement, an online self-improvement course
Time Management, a three and a half week online course for Time Management skills
Thinking Skills, another three and a half week course coming later in the semester!
and... (one of my favorite classes)... -Women's Choir!
here's a little plug for all people in the their first year of college not yet involved in a non-academic/extra curricular pursuit:  Get involved in something other than academics and try new things.  Don't be afraid!  You met new people, broaden your experience, and get a break from school!  :) I love it! 

So those are my classes and in addition to that, I am in charge of coordinating and co-leading weekly group activities with a co-ed single student "fun" group.  It mimics what regular families call FHE for "Family Home Evening" where you get together and spend a night a week for doing things together as a family!  (We just get together as single adults because we are not married with families.)  It's really fun and interactive, so I like it. :)

Besides that, I work at the Records Office answering phone calls from 8-11am and do homework, grocery shop, do laundry, have fun, and get sleep!  I mostly have fun on the weekends and try to get out to the temple also once a week!  (There's one really close!)  :)  My roommate and I find a lot of strength by doing this! :)  

Some highlights inlcude: 
Speaking Partners(I'll tell you more about this later but it's an online program using skype that helps you tutor international students), going to Utah last weekend, a trip to Idaho Falls two weekends ago, a bonfire up in the mountains, and loving my classes more than I have before! Life is good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment