Saturday, September 28, 2013

Music Memory + Why I love my siblings!

Last Fall, I sang in the Women's Choir at BYU-Idaho.  I loved singing in this choir.  I felt so spiritually uplifted, refreshed with greater capacity to face my daily challenges through cheerful interactions and positive, happy people, and blessed to be in the presence of such great talent and choral skill that made me want to be a better musician.  This was such a great experience.  I felt especially tender when we rehearsed the hymn "More Holiness Give Me."  
Each Tuesday afternoon at BYU-Idaho, pretty much the entire campus shuts down for a school-wide devotional with a special speaker and musical number that lasts about an hour long.  I enjoyed going to those devotionals from the beginning of my college experience.  However, I felt a different spirit at them when I got to SING in them. :)  [The auditorium where the devotionals are held is huge with 15,000 seats, equipped with cameras, fancy teleprompters, and a large stage used for a variety of meetings and performances.  Basically, it's quite the venue for a mere 70?ish ladies to fill with {hopefully} beautiful sound for all to hear.]
For one of the devotionals, we (Women's Choir) sang "More Holiness Give Me."  My favorite moment of singing that song was actually during a rehearsal we had previous to one of the performances of the song.  It was so powerful because I felt the combination of emotion and musicianship eloquently carry the message of the song to be more like the Savior.  It was truly unique.
To date, it holds a special place in my heart and I love to hear mass choirs sing it. :) 
I am so excited to attend BYU-Idaho again in the Winter and look forward to the many more positive memories to unfold there! :) 
Serious Sisters
Funny Sisters

...sisters either way! :) 
For now, I am living at home and it is different than living away from home as any college student who has left and returns (or anyone who every has) is familiar with, but it's not unbearable. I have a different set of challenges that make me grow but also many blessings that accompany those challenges.  Most recently I have appreciated the cheerful company of my sister.  She is involved in work, school, church, and music right now and SO busy!  But somehow we manage to find time to laugh, cheer each other up and hear about our concerns, goals, funny moments, and enthusiasm in our lives. :)  It's a blessing I cherish in this season of my life!  :)  
In addition to her, my brother Andrew has also been quite entertaining lately.  He comes home with stories, practices his french in the car ride, at the check-out line, or just around the house, and generously showers our home -and yard (see below)- with his vibrant personality.  Whether it's mowing his initials with a display of his new age into the backyard for his birthday, or practicing the trumpet into the wee hours of the night with an energy that can hardly match an ordinary practice session, I am glad he and I are around together for at least this season more before my adult wings get too ambitious for long spurts at home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment