This week celebrates 166 years since the first Latter-day Saints crossed the mid-western plains from Nauvoo, IL to Salt Lake City, UT. Last summer, while I traveled with BYU-Idaho students for three weeks, we had the opportunity to visits several sites where the early saints began to embrace the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and eventually left their lands because of too much persecution. Below is a video about recognizing pioneers in the past and now.
Faith of Our Fathers Video by President Uchtdorf
Faith of Our Fathers Video by President Uchtdorf
My favorite pioneer day related site is for sure the city of Nauvoo and specifically the Trail of Hope that runs about 1 mile downhill from the Nauvoo temple they built with their own hands to the Mississippi River that they began crossing in the bitter cold of February in 1847 because it was frozen over. From there, they journeyed on through the plains and the first group finally reached the Salt Lake Valley on July 24th that summer. I really look up to these saints because they truly embody hard work, sacrifice, and dedication to what they believed to be true.
Nauvoo Temple
A pioneer is simply someone who forges a new road and does something those behind them haven't done. Today there are lots of pioneers in technology as we are living in the information era. Spiritually, there are also lots pioneers today.
I really like this quote by M. Russell Ballard about modern-day pioneers.
“The Lord isn’t asking us to load up a handcart; He’s asking us to fortify our faith. He isn’t asking us to walk across a continent; He’s asking us to walk across the street to visit our neighbor. He isn’t asking us to give all of our worldly possessions to build a temple; He’s asking us to … attend regularly the temples already built. He isn’t asking us to die a martyr’s death; He’s asking us to live a disciple’s life.”
Here is a great example of a modern day pioneer (click link for video).
This morning, I got up and hiked a nearby plateau with a friend. We looked out into our futures and reflected on some of the fun outdoor memories we've had in past years. It was a great time and I'm again grateful for good friends.
This past week, I set everything in place I needed to begin paperwork for an LDS mission. I have several months still to earn money and prepare but I'm SO excited for the adventures up ahead!
Nauvoo Temple
A pioneer is simply someone who forges a new road and does something those behind them haven't done. Today there are lots of pioneers in technology as we are living in the information era. Spiritually, there are also lots pioneers today.
I really like this quote by M. Russell Ballard about modern-day pioneers.
“The Lord isn’t asking us to load up a handcart; He’s asking us to fortify our faith. He isn’t asking us to walk across a continent; He’s asking us to walk across the street to visit our neighbor. He isn’t asking us to give all of our worldly possessions to build a temple; He’s asking us to … attend regularly the temples already built. He isn’t asking us to die a martyr’s death; He’s asking us to live a disciple’s life.”
Here is a great example of a modern day pioneer (click link for video).
This morning, I got up and hiked a nearby plateau with a friend. We looked out into our futures and reflected on some of the fun outdoor memories we've had in past years. It was a great time and I'm again grateful for good friends.
This past week, I set everything in place I needed to begin paperwork for an LDS mission. I have several months still to earn money and prepare but I'm SO excited for the adventures up ahead!

No comments:
Post a Comment