There's a song in the LDS hymnbook that's called "Where Can I Turn For Peace." It has been a special song to me lately that has helped me overcome despair, grief, and unsurety about the future. The music and lyrics can be found here (may take a little bit to load).
The song is about a plea for peace. It describes different humans infirmities that wound us and a seeking for help/peace. I found that this week the third verse has words that were applicable to me in a way I particularly noticed this week.
I made a financial plan back in April as I was applying for scholarships and decided that I would have "such and such" amount of money by the end of the summer to spend on school (or a mission if that became the alternative) based on working so much for so long, etc. I was feeling very powerful, capable, and excited to earn the money. I had a little bit of online school left and then I would up my hours I decided, in order to fill in the rest of my time I wouldn't be in studying. Turned out by the time I finished classes, I was a weary, distracted, and not as motivated as I thought with a lack of concrete goals to get me started on this full time path and after a few weeks, I realized I wasn't quite on track to meet my larger goal.
Trying not to get discouraged, I decided to start with some more reasonable weekly goals and work up to something that would more likely take me to my end result in mind.
Along with setting more reasonable goals, I took a closer look at my daily and weekly life habits, time spent, and my priorities. As I adjusted and thought more ambitiously -even just a little bit- I saw that doors opened and blessings came. I could see where Heavenly Father was rewarding my efforts and helping me see his hand in my life.
"Reaches My Reaching"
As I reflected on this situation this week with lots of work on my plate, I thought of the blessings that came because I tried to align my life better with Christ.
The third verse to *"Where Can I Turn for Peace" go like this:
He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind, Love without end.
The words "reaches my reaching" went through my head and I just felt this epiphany that I as I was trying to reach outward and upward for help the help came -like it was reaching back. This brought me the peace I needed to move forward with faith that things would work out as I continued to work hard and reach heavenward. :)
*note on "Where Can I Turn for Peace"
Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. (c) 1973 IRI
Music: Joleen G. Meredith, b. 1935. (c) 1973 IRI
No comments:
Post a Comment