There's several things that I want to talk about today. This weekend, I went down to Utah for a get-a-way, I'm finishing up my classes and loving them, plus! -it's Christmastime! :)
Trip!
First of all, I just got back from a great trip with some friends down to Utah. We visited my aunt and uncle at an In-n-Out Burger in Salt Lake City and then stayed overnight with them at their house. After a "chill" morning we headed off to Temple Square in downtown Salt Lake City. On the way, we stopped at a Denny's for our "breakfast-y" lunch! It was past noon by then. :)
The weather looked as if a storm was coming -and it did, but not until later and it was mild.
We visited the temple in Salt Lake and then we met up with my friend, Shayla. Her and went off to shop at the mall, eat, and see the lights. Temple Square is especially lit up this time of year and it was an adventure to walk around in the snow and see the lights while we dodged all the people and caught up on our lives! :)
Afterward, we headed back to her apartment in Provo and watched some comedy-Brian Reagan, drank hot chocolate, played Uno, watched part of Hugo, then make and frosted sugar cookies! :) It was a fun night and I'm glad I went! :)
Classes
The second is school! I'm getting to wrap up my classes and I LOVE them! It's been a great semester. The classes I'm taking are: Family Foundations, Understanding DNA, Personal Achievement, Choir, Pakistan, and then I took some 3 1/2 week Study Skills Modules about Time Management and Thinking Skills. Every single one of my classes are cool in their own way. My DNA class was really interesting but it was also more difficult. My Pakistan class was simple work-wise, but I learned a LOT!, my Family Foundations class was very insightful and helped me realize what I want in a family, and I also loved the choir class for the singing and the friends! Personal Achievement was another class I expected to be great but got even more out of it than I expected and the ti
They were all good enough for it to be too easy to pick a favorite, but one of the classes that stands out right now is Pakistan. Pakistan was a class that fulfills an International Studies credit. It was about the country in a general way, but went into different aspects so that we could be more aware and armed to make a difference. It was really interesting and last week, a natural-born Pakistani who is a student at BYU-I came and talked to us. His history is amazing and it was really interesting to hear him talk about his views and background.
Speaking Partners
Part of this class included participating in a BYU-I run volunteer program called Speaking Partners. This is a program for remote online students from other countries who are learning English. They partner the student up with a person like me to skype twice a week. We practice material for their simple foundation classes as well as their English so they can be prepared to enter the Online Program as a full-fledged degree seeking student. This semester, I skyped with a student from Mexico. It was a really great experience and I recommend it to anyone who can, to try it! *If it's any motivation to BYU-I students out there, it's added to your official Leadership Transcript, a cool thing that tracks your volunteer experience.
Christmas Spirit
These past few weeks have been exciting because I sing in Women's Choir that combined with two other choirs from our school to sing in a grand musical production of Christmas music last weekend. We sung in what they called "A BYU-Idaho Christmas" with live dancers, a live Orchestra, and guest group, Canadian Brass. They were really funny and it was fun to perform with them for Christmas. I love this time of year and I'm really glad I got to go see the lights yesterday.
The beauty and the wonder of the season is really special and I hope everyone enjoys their holidays. I am looking forward to going home to see my family, spend Christmas with them, then move on to my new season!
Keep you posted! :) -Heidi
No comments:
Post a Comment